Friday, February 17, 2012

Group Management

Today in class we as a team had to do the simple job of making scrambled eggs and serving them to the class as a team. Sounds easy enough, but Beth decides to throw a little wrench into it, we're broken into teams and the person who is doing anything with the eggs will be blindfolded. I was assigned on the team whose job was to go and gather plates and then we had to set the table doing our job was easy enough. We found containers to put the food in, but when we got back, we were thrown into different teams to do different jobs some more. I had to help direct the person cooking which was hard because I'm so used to being hands on when I help, but now, I can only talk them threw it which was tough. It was successful, but not because of me, it was due more to the team I was put into did a great job. After a while, I was then selected to plate all the food up. It was kinda hard to do because I couldn't really hear my team, but once the noise died down a bit, I was able to follow my team's instructions clearly. The project today was fun, it was difficult at first, but after a while, everybody got into the swing of things. We all tried to make things as easy as could be for the person who was blindfolded and we succeeded. The only bad part was trying the food that we made. Gross stuff. How this relates to working in the real world is that you're gonna be thrown into groups with people you really don't know, so you'll learn on the fly how to get along with your coworkers on any job. In the real world, you'll have to learn to adapt to changes that are going to take place as you work. Personalities will clash, people will have no idea what they are doing, so you are going to have to switch roles constantly to maintain balance and to ensure that everything will be done on time.

Clarification:
My group's first job was to find something to put the eggs on when they were ready to eat. When we were together we talked for a bit to figure out where we could find things we can use for plates. One of the group members remembered that the Law building has plates we can use, so we went over there and grabbed a couple.

The Mouse:
When I was assigned to the directing the cooking team, I became the mouse a bit because I couldn't really figure out how to direct the person who was suppose to be cooking. After a while I kind of figured it out and was able to help out somewhat.

The Loud - Mouth:
I couldn't really recall someone being the loud - mouth whenever I was in a group, but there were probably a time when everybody was talking and it seemed like everybody was being the loud - mouth.

The Written Record:
There was no written record because we were all in the kitchen trying to figure out how to get everything done within the time that we had.

Feedback (Negative):
When the blindfolded person did something wrong, we told them what happened and then we would work as a team to try and fix it, sometimes it worked and sometimes we had to keep trying over and over. The real negative feedback that was consistent was when a half stick of butter was used for the eggs.

Feedback (Positive):
Every time the blindfolded was able to do something right, everybody made sure to give them props for getting the job done, like when I was putting everything on a plate, people said I was doing a good job and telling me to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment