Sunday, September 2, 2012

Capstone Ideas Left on the Cutting Room Floor

During the past two years, I've been trying to come up with ideas for my capstone. There were some really good ones that had a great story, but I couldn't really figure out where to take it from there.

The 1st Idea:
This idea came from when I was in my Four Horsemen phase. The main character was a kid who thought he was just an ordinary high school student, everything was going great for him until one night he, his girlfriend were attacked by things that didn't seem human. Turns out his family holds a dark secret that his mother tried to keep him from, the men in his family ran hell and they wanted him to take the mantle of the Grim Reaper. He reluctantly agrees to do it to save the souls of his friend and girlfriend. As he takes jobs from them, he finds out that they were never going to bring them back and he was just being groomed to have his heart and soul taken from him s he could be a loyal servant to the family. So he decides to take the fight to him one by one and steal their power from them. At the end of the game, his mind has become so warped by what has happened and what he has become, an angelic figure has come down to try and stop him from killing his father and taking the crown as the new king of hell. So the player would have a choice to kill their father or to let the figure reset everything back to it was before the faithful night, him and his friend, and girlfriend would be protected from what happens.

The 2nd Idea:
This was game idea I almost took the whole way. The kid is coming home from school with his friends when his hated rival shows up. The rival starts something and they end up fighting, the rival pushes him into the street where he is hit by a car. As he is fading in and out of consciousness, he wakes up to being in another world that is made up of the heroes and villains of the games he plays, but everybody he knows has taken the appearance of his real life friends, family, and other people that he has come in contact with. Everything that happens in his mind affects his body in real life. So the player would have to beat the game to get the main character to wake up. This game was going to be a homage and parody of other arcade games from the 80s and 90s.

The 3rd Idea:
This is the idea that I am currently fleshing out for my capstone. This is going to be a level to a side scrolling game that I want to make. The whole game will encompass ideas and philosophies from past games and current games. The level I am doing is going to be a stealth, rogue like section where you have to sneak around and collect jewels and treasures in the haunted Egyptian temple. When you collect and accidentally open up Pandora's Box, this will be the jumping off point for the game and add a supernatural element when King "Tuttin"hamen will wake from his slumber and try to bring back his kingdom and rule the world, by assembling the "8 Evils of the World", which are the "8 Wonders of the World".

40 comments:

  1. Stephanie Hii

    You have some interesting story concepts in mind so I decided to comment and give my feedback on them.

    1. This would really appeal to the folks who like storytelling and character development. Personally, I like this story idea the best. But it’s mainly due to the fact I enjoy playing through these types of story-heavy games. How would the gameplay work out for this one?

    2. Your second idea is quite humorous and shows a lot of creativity. Again, I need to ask, what type of game would this be? Since this is homage/parody of other games it’d be great if you could recreate some of the games’ levels in 3D or have an appropriate old-style look to your models. You could easily do one introduction and a level of this.

    3. This idea doesn’t really seem to have a lot of plot and seems casual (but that’s just me.) I’m really interested to see a stealth system in UDK.

    Overall, it seems that there is a lot of work to be done in terms of modeling, and programming….if you want your levels to be immersive. But I’m guessing you can use the default objects for the 3rd idea, since they have a fantasy/temple/ruins object set in UDK already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph, the first idea, the combat would be more combo centric. Kind of like Devil May Cry and other beat 'em ups. The more you vary your attacks, the more points and experience you will gain from. It would also force people to try out different tactics and styles.

      The second idea, I was thinking on basing diffent worlds on different styles of games to make the gameplay more varied.

      The third idea, I'm still working out the story details and the kinks to it lol.

      Really all three Ideas, all share a lot of things in common with one another, but the main thing I'm focusing on is that I am modeling everything from scratch.

      Delete
  2. The third concept is my favorite of the bunch you have tossed out but that might be because I've always liked Egyptian and Greek lore and culture. Call me crazy and a bit nostalgic in game design, but I can see the eight wonders/evil of the world stages set up like Megaman for some reason. Don't know why, but I think it would be funny as well as awesome to have a world choice/boss set up like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the level I'm doing is going to be in the same vein as Megaman, Castlevania, and Super Metroid.

      Delete
  3. Jodi Reardon
    You ideas sound interesting, but I think you might be able to shorten them into 2 or three sentences, otherwise you get right into the meat of the story without really giving the main appetizers. Also kinda of a sidetone, the font for your blog is sorta hard to read, you might consider choosing something simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, once I started typing everything out, the details and plot lines started coming out and i couldn't help myself lol.

      Delete
  4. After reading just a few of these, I was surprised as to how many people seem unsure of their idea, or have a skill set and no idea how to follow it up. It's good know there are others in the same boat, and people willing to jump in on a good group capstone. (I myself am always looking for help)

    I'm also curious as to why you don't combine your ideas. Like the story from idea 2, + the game play from idea 3 for example.

    Billy Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris,

    I like the historical King Tut sidescroller idea. You mentioned UDK so will this be a 3D Sidescroller? Start on some concept work and experiment with getting the moving camera to work in UDK.

    -Jacob Wright

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chris,

    Honestly I had the same problem with having multiple ideas and not knowing which way to go. For me, I had to really go with my gut feeling on which idea I wanted to use and ultimately I chose the idea that best suited the capstone criteria without me going overboard and choosing something that is realistically impossible. I would say that personally choice number 3 is the one I would go with if I am in your position because I've seen your 3D work and it's really good and that would show off your skills the most in my opinion.

    -Blake Salisbury

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica Faux - I like the font of this site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shawn Haliburton - I really like the third idea that you came up with for your capstone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Your 2nd idea seems interesting; would the player or character be aware that their actions were affecting the real world?

      Delete
  10. I really liked your first idea. I think if it is done right, it would be very popular with the comic readers/Devil May Cry type gamers. It sounded interesting to me, as I fit the criteria of comic reader/Devil May Cry type gamer,.. most of the time.

    ReplyDelete