Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Skill Set Inventory

1. What is your favorite thing to do outside of school?
- My favorite things to do when I am not in school are usually just chill with friends. I play video games when I am with friends because we're all really competitive and really like to rub it in the faces of each other when we beat the other really badly. I like listening to music when I am in school, but when I am out, I just put my Ipod onto full blast and just zone out.

2. What is your favorite class and explain why it is your favorite?
- Hmm, I don't have really have a favorite class, but if I had to pick one it would be any game design class I had like N330 or N485. I like these classes because I love video games and actually going in and making a level really shows me how much hard work goes into making a great game.

3. What are you good at doing in New Media?
- I wouldn't say that I'm good at anything in New Media really, but the one thing that I think that I've made progress in is 3D modeling in Maya or building a level in the Unreal Developers' Kit. I love taking something 2D and trying to recreate it in a three dimensional space. It takes a lot of time, but it's really fun to work with.

4. What are you good at doing outside of New Media?
- That is a really hard question. Somethings I can't really say, but I guess I can go with making people laugh and lifting stuff.

5. What is your favorite area of New Media (you don't have to be good at it, but you have to like whatever you talk about for this one?)
- Same as Number 3, I love to work with 3D Modeling.

6. Do you prefer to work independently or in a group? Please explain why.
- I like to work alone more so than working in a group. I like it more because I fell like the only person affected in the end is me. Working in a group is fine, but if I fuck up, it won't just cost me, it'll cost my group as well.

7.What New Media classes have you had?
- Man, that's a long list, let's see:
INTRO DIGITAL MEDIA PRINCIPLES
VISUALIZING INFORMATION
DESIGN ISSUES IN DIGITAL MEDIA
TOPICS IN INTERACTIVE MEDIA
INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL VIDEO
SCRIPTWRITING
VISUAL PRACTICES
GAME ON!
and more

8. In a group project explain what you usually end up doing.
In a group project, I usually end up doing my part of the work and then I just float around seeing if anybody else in the group need help. I usually ask a lot of questions while in a group because I want to make sure that I know exactly what I am doing.

9. In a perfect group what would you like to end up working on? (i.e. hands-on work, research, presentation, web development, planning, etc.)
I would like to do a little planning, but I really just like doing research and hands-on work. I hate having to talk in front of a large group of people.

10. What is your opinion of group work? Please explain why.
Group work is ok if you have people who are interested in actually working. Group work can be a lot of fun or it can turn into a shit storm real easily.

11. How do you think other people would describe you?
I think other people would describe me as a care free guy who is easy to get along with. I will always put my best foot forward and will be amicable with everybody.

12. How would you describe yourself?
I would describe myself as a friendly guy. A guy who puts work ahead of having fun a lot. I'm a quiet shy dude that likes to keep to himself, but if I have to be around people, I'll make the most of it.

13. What do you do when a group project goes bad?
When a group project goes bad, I try to fix whatever the problem is so the group can get back to working. If things are beyond fixing, then I'll try to get the project done myself with the people who aren't having problems.

14. What is civic engagement in your opinion?
Civic engagement to me is, seeing a problem and trying to figure out a solution to the problem whether that means fixing it individually or being part of a group to fix it.

15. What experience have you had working with community partners, either on your own, through school, church, or in any other capacity?
I can't really remember exact things that I've done, but I do know that I have been apart of food drives and other projects like that.

16. What do you know about Keep Indianapolis Beautiful (KIB?)
I have no idea what KIB is, but from what you told the class about them, I can tell that they want to clean up Indiana and make it clean and beautiful. They want to turn the dull, rundown places into beautiful, lush environments to lift the spirits of the people that live there and who visit there.

17. How do you think New Media (the program and all its resources) could help the community in general, and KIB in particular?
New Media could help KIB in a number of different ways:
- We could make a flash or 3D game that shows people cleaning up parks and different areas around Indiana
- Could make a PSA about KIB that could be broadcasted in schools and television.
- There are more ideas, but those are the only ones that popped up at the moment.

18. How could YOU help the community, and KIB, particularly in terms of New Media?
Hmm, I am okay with Maya and UDK so I could make 3D scene of a park or a 3D game about cleaning up places and making them beautiful and if all else fails, I can help clean up and plant trees.

19. What are your goals for this semester?
My goals are for this semester are to just improve my skills in working in groups and just improve myself overall.

20. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Haha... If I grow up, I would love to have a job in the video game industry as a modeler or a level designer. Really anything in the video game field, I would love to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment